On the LIZZO Hate and Fatphobia

The Lizzo fiasco made me really think. To be honest, I only feel certain ways about my body sometimes, because I feel I'm expected to. I'm expected to hate the weight I gain, my love handles, my chubby tummy and forever strive to be socially palatable for the rest of the years I have left. It's really exhausting, I don't want to do it but I feel like everyone is looking at me to be disgusted in my body and hate the way I take up space. I feel like it is just what should be done.

photo by Jennifer Burk@jenandjoon

There is a redefining of self that comes with freedom. So, understanding that I don't have to think that way can be destabilizing in the beginning, but I am interested in how I navigate all of it, as FUCKING UNCOMFORTABLE as it is.

Needless to say, it is intriguing how normalized fatphobia is. So normalized that, many people do not accept the word as a definition of what they do. It is often playacted as faux care for the person's health, but no one that truly cares will say the things they do. They do not consider what they do and how they act fatphobic. It is not as simple to see your own blind spots especially when your specific blind spots are normalized. This is why white people dont see the dissonance when the conversation of race comes up or when men dont see a problem when we talk about the need for feminism.


But it is important, more so to interview yourself so to say. If you are uncomfortable, ask yourself why. Why am I uncomfortable when it comes to this person? What about them makes me uncomfortable? If I were them, in their body, how would I feel about myself? Vocalize your answers, take your time to form your words and be honest with yourself. Do not be judgmental, do this with self-compassion. When we ask ourselves these questions, we give ourselves more room to understand our own selves, the world around us and our duty to it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS: HELLO? BIGGER ISSUES OVER HERE.

Nigeria’s inability to just let herself heal

So you're scared of getting pregnant? I found some info